top of page

The Housing Authority of the County of Monterey (HACM) 


Reporting Changes To
the Housing Authority

Participants are required to report to the Housing Authority all changes in their income, assets, or household composition as outlined below. Additionally, you are required to provide any and all requested information to the Housing Authority in a timely manner. If you are late in providing documents, forms, or information to the Housing Authority, your assistance may be terminated. If you are unsure of the name of your Housing Programs Specialist, you may call the office and/or request an appointment in writing.

Kid on a wheelchair.

Requesting Changes To Your Household Composition

All changes in your household composition must be reported promptly in writing to the Housing Authority. Some changes require prior approval or you risk losing your voucher. The following rules apply when making any changes to your household composition.

Removing Any Household Member

If any member of your household moves out, you must notify the Housing Authority in writing within 14 calendar days of the move-out date. The Housing Authority will verify the information and may conduct an interim recertification if warranted. When a dependent turns 18 he/she will remain a household member unless removed by a voucher holder.

Adding Household Members

If you wish to add someone to your household you must get approval from the Housing Authority before allowing the person to move in. The Housing Authority will conduct its standard eligibility screening at that time. If the addition is a newborn, please provide the Housing Authority with a copy of the birth certificate and social security card. Please be aware that if you fail to provide proper notification and/or request advance permission regarding any changes in your family composition, your housing assistance may be terminated, or you may be responsible for paying back any overpayment of subsidy caused by the unreported information or violation.


Reporting Changes to
your Income

Participants are required to notify the Housing Authority in writing within 14 calendar days of any change to the income of any household member. Failure to report changes to the Housing Authority within the required timeframe is considered a program violation and your assistance may be terminated.The following rules apply when reporting changes to your family income:

Increases in Family Income

If the income of any family member has increased, you must notify us in writing within 14 calendar days of the date of the increase. We will verify the information you have provided, and make any necessary changes to your rental assistance. If there is an increase in income and you do not notify us in writing within 14 calendar days of the date of the increase, you will be required to pay a retroactive rent increase, effective the first day of the month following the date of the income increase. Additionally, if you do not notify the Housing Authority of any changes to your family income within the required timeframe, your housing may be terminated.

Decreases in Family Income

If the income of any family member has decreased, you must notify us in writing within 14 calendar days of the date of the decrease. We will verify the information you have provided, and make any necessary changes to your rental decrease. Your rent will not be lowered retroactively. Additionally, if you do not notify the Housing Authority of any changes to your family income within the required timeframe, your housing assistance may be terminated.

Annual Re-Certifications

At least once a year, the Housing Authority will conduct a mandatory re-certification in order to recertify your household composition, income, assets, and allowable expenses. The re-certification can occur at any time up to 12 months from your entry into the Housing Choice Voucher program or your last re-certification. All adults must be present. In some cases, the re-examination may be done via first-class mail.

Annual Review Packet

The annual re-certification packet will contain a letter of instruction and forms requesting the information needed to complete this process. You will have at least two weeks to complete the required forms and gather the requested documentation for your Annual Review appointment.

Verification of Employment Income

Participants will be required to provide current, original documentation of their income, assets, and other information. Here is a list of typical documents and information you should submit:


You will be asked to provide the three most current consecutive paystubs for all employed adults inyour household. At least one of the three paystubs must be dated after the date of the “get ready”letter.


If a member of your household is self-employed, you will be asked to provide tax returns, 1099s,and/or profit and loss statements for the most recent twelve months.

Verification of other incomes and Benefits Social Security and/or Supplemental Security Incomes(SSI)

You will be asked to submit all pages of a current original statement of benefits letter or action notice for any source of Social Security pension and/or Supplemental Security Income showing the amount of benefits that you or a member of your household are currently receiving. The letter must be dated AFTER the date of the “get ready” letter. To obtain a new letter from the Social Security Administration, you can call 1-800-772-1213 or visit their website at

Other Benefits

You will be asked to submit all pages of a current original statement of benefits letter or action noticed for any type of Cash Aid or Welfare Assistance, such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families(TANF), previously called Assistance to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC), or CalWORKs, showing all benefits that you or members of your household are currently receiving.


Other Documentation

You will be asked to submit documentation of any other income that any member of your house hold receives.

Verification of Assets
Bank Accounts

You will be asked to submit three months of all pages of a current bank statement for all checking, savings, and other types of bank accounts. The statement may be either an original or a copy but it must include the name of the account holder, the account number, balance, and bank name and address.

Other Assets

For all other assets (such as stocks, bonds, CDs or other assets), you will be asked to provide currentoriginal statements from the financial institution.


The Housing Authority of the County of Monterey will conduct annual Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspections for the home or apartment you are living in with your housing assistance; the checklist for the annual HQS inspection is similar to the initial inspection. The landlord may choose to be present for any inspection if deficiencies are found, the landlord is notified in writing and given a certain time to make repairs. If repairs are not done, the housing assistance cannot continue, and you may be required to move. If you are the cause of the deficiency, you may lose your voucher.

Biannual Inspections

The Housing Authority of the County of Monterey has begun implementing biannual inspections in accordance with the regulations set forth by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). These inspections play a vital role in ensuring the safety, quality, and compliance of the housing units we administer. As part of our commitment to providing safe and habitable homes for our residents, this biannual inspection program seeks to uphold the highest standards of living conditions while also fostering a sense of community well-being.

Relocating within Moneterey County - Tranfers

Moving to a different unit within Monterey County falls under the category of a "transfer." (If you plan to relocate outside the area, please refer to the section on Moving Outside the Area – Portables. If you decide to move from your current unit without notifying the Monterey County Housing Authority, it may result in the cancellation of your housing voucher.


Should your landlord issue a notice requiring you to move, it is imperative to promptly inform the Monterey County Housing Authority and provide a copy of the notice.


Upon receiving approval from the Housing Authority to move out of your current unit, you will have a strict 60-day timeframe to secure another rental unit that meets approval criteria.


If you intend to proceed with a transfer, it is necessary to seek approval from the Monterey County Housing Authority before your move by completing a Transfer Request Form. Approval for a transfer will not be granted if you have outstanding debts to the Housing Authority.


You must either reach the end of your lease term (consult your lease agreement to determine whether it's a fixed term or month-to-month lease) or obtain your landlord's agreement to move before the lease's natural expiration.


Upon relocation, the size of your housing voucher will be determined based on your household size and the current subsidy standards set by the Monterey County Housing Authority, which dictate the number of allowed bedrooms. Please note that these standards may have undergone changes, resulting in the issuance of a different voucher size.


After obtaining approval for your transfer from the Housing Authority, you will receive a "Transfer Packet." Within this packet, you will find a Request for Tenancy Approval form that you must present to your prospective new landlord. For guidance on locating a new rental and submitting the Request for Tenancy Approval, visit the "Information for New Voucher Holders" section on this website.


Following the inspection and approval of your new rental unit by the Housing Authority, along with your successful relocation, it is vital to promptly return the keys to your previous unit to the landlord and obtain a receipt. This receipt can be essential in the event of any dispute concerning your move-out date. Keep in mind that the Housing Authority will not provide rental subsidies for two units simultaneously, so it is advisable to minimize the transition time between the two units once approval is granted.

Relocating outside the area - Portability

Within the Housing Choice Voucher program, families have the option to relocate with their voucher assistance to another geographic area, a practice commonly referred to as "portability" or "porting."


However, there are specific guidelines governing when you can exercise this portability option. Prior to making the decision to port, it is essential to review the Informational Bulletin on Portability within the Section 8 Program, accessible by clicking here. Do not include this part.


Should you opt to port to a different area, it is imperative to seek permission beforehand by completing a Portable Request Form. 


Within this Portable Request Form, you will specify the precise area to which you intend to move. Subsequently, the Monterey County Housing Authority will initiate contact with the housing authority in the target area, notifying them of your intent to "port in." The receiving housing authority must verify that it is currently accepting vouchers before your portability request can proceed.


It is crucial to note that both your present housing authority and the receiving housing authority must grant their respective approvals before the portability process can proceed.


Keep in mind that the housing authority in your new destination will have its own unique policies and restrictions, which may differ from those of your current housing authority. Therefore, it is your responsibility to reach out to the new housing authority to ascertain any applicable restrictions.


P lease note that transferring documents, getting approvals, and getting your voucher from the new housing authority can be time-consuming. Therefore, you must await the necessary approvals before initiating your move, as failure to do so could result in the loss of your housing voucher.

What Is the Purpose of the Inspection?

The purpose of the inspection is to ensure that housing units assisted through programs like the Housing Choice Voucher program meet certain standards of quality and safety known as Housing Quality Standards (HQS).


These inspections aim to confirm that the housing unit is in decent condition, provides a safe and sanitary living environment for the tenant, and meets specific standards outlined in the HQS Inspection Check list.


Preparation is encouraged to increase the likelihood of passing the inspection, including reviewing the HQS Inspection Check list in detail and addressing minor repairs before the inspector arrives. It's essential to note that only one re-inspection is allowed, and the responsibility for correcting violations rests with the landlord.

Can You Inspect a Unit Before the Landlord Has Found a Tenant?

The Housing Authority cannot inspect a unit until a tenant submits a Request for Tenancy Approval (RTA). Landlords and prospective tenants can use the HQS Inspection Check list to identify potential issues and failed items in advance, but the official inspection can only take place once the RTA is submitted.

What Does the Inspection Cover?

The inspection covers various aspects of the housing unit's condition and safety. Specific items are detailed in the HQS Inspection Check list.


The inspector typically assesses items such as smoke detectors, appliances, heating systems, water heaters, doors, plumbing, pest infestations, paint conditions, ventilation, electrical hazards, and more.


It's important to note that these standards may change over time, so it's essential to refer to the latest guidelines provided by the Housing Authority.


Si desea una traducción en español, por favor llame al 831-775-5000


The Housing Authority may independently verify the information you submit. There are also sources available to the Housing Authority which may indicate information you have not submitted. If later it is found that you did not fully inform or comply with the application, your voucher could be terminated and you could be responsible for rental subsidy paid on your behalf by the Housing Authority. You must respond to all Housing Authority requests for information by the due dates established, or you could lose your housing assistance. The sooner you submit all requested information to HousingAuthority, the sooner we can complete your recertification and notify you of any changes to your portion of the rent.


Notice of Non-Discrimination - Reasonable Accomodation

It is the policy and intention of this Housing Authority to comply with all of its policies and procedures affecting all of its programs and activities, including employment and housing with all federal, state, and local regulations prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, family status, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability. If you have a documented physical, mental, or developmental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, have a record of such impairment, or are regarded as having such impairment, the Housing Authority would like to know what your special needs are so they can be readily addressed. Please notify the Housing Authority of your special needs, if any, at the time of your annual

re-certification. It is the policy of the Housing Authority to provide a reasonable accommodation to those persons with disabilities so that they can participate equally in its housing programs. To request a reasonable accommodation, you may contact the Section 504 Coordinator, Lucila Vera, in writing at theCentral Office located at 123 Rico Street, Salinas CA 93907 or by telephone at (831) 775-5000 or by TDDat (831) 754-2951. Click to download the Application Forms

Accessible Disabled Unit Listing: Accessible Units List Revised 

Housing Discrimination is illegal?

Effective January 1, 2020, it is illegal in California for landlords to refuse to rent to prospective tenants solely because they have a Housing Choice Voucher (formally known as Section 8).

relocating outside the area
bottom of page